Cohen was green when the world was black & white. Recycling helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions and conserves energy and natural resources. Our approach to sustainability mitigates risk and creates value for our customers and the communities we serve.
How Scrap Recycling Benefits the Environment
- Reduces burden on landfills – Diverts 150 million tons of materials away from landfills.
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions – Recycling reduces transportation costs and air and other pollution. Keeping potentially hazardous materials out of landfills means cleaner air and water for everyone.
- Conserves energy – Recycling requires significantly less energy to manufacture products. Recycling old aluminum uses 95% less energy than producing the same product from raw materials.
- Conserves materials and natural resources – Recycling one ton of steel conserves 2500 lbs. of iron ore, 1400 lbs. of coal and 120 lbs. of limestone.
- Recycling closes the loop – Scrap recycling creates more environmentally friendly products, which in turn stimulates the development of green technology. This lifecycle is integral to the environment, the US economy, and global trade.